Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tea Time For Seedlings

I've read that seedlings benefit from some sort of fertilization, but last year I didn't bother.  This year I decided to give it a shot.

I bought some organic vegetable fertilizer, and prepared some "fertilizer tea" by combining a cup of fertilizer and a gallon of water and letting it sit for 24 hours.

The first thing I noticed was that this fertilizer tea smells like the sewer backed up!  This is most likely due to the manure and fish meal in the fertilizer.  Really - it was quite lovely!

I  watered the seedlings with a solution of apx 75% tea and 25% water, and then went away for three days.  When I returned home, the difference was very noticeable.  The plants were taller, the stems thicker, and the leaves bigger and a deeper green color.

Judge for yourself - here are some 'before' pictures (click for enlargements):



And now here are the 'after' pictures taken 4 days later (click for enlargements):



Needless to say, I'll be doing this with all my seedlings from now on.  I'll give them another dose a week after the first one.

Just two and half weeks until planting time...

1 comment:

Valentino thomas said...

For example, you can purchase lights that use xenon flashlights inside of the grow tent. The bulbs in these lights are extremely bright and provide high levels of light for successful garden growth. Get more information about indoor gardening gear on this link.